Our heritage pork neck steaks are one of our most popular cuts. When properly prepared, they are the most flavourful, tender steak imaginable, and more affordable than chops or tenderloin.
For a perfectly cooked neck steak:
- Allow steaks to come to room temperature, salt liberally and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes for the meat to absorb the salt.
- Heat a cast iron pan to about 400 degrees and add a generous amount of lard.
- Test the temperature of the lard/pan with a fatty corner of the steak. You'll hear a lot of sizzling if the pan is hot enough.
- Place steaks in pan and cook until golden brown before flipping (2-3 minutes per side).
- Do not overcook!
- Allow the steaks to rest on the plate for a few minutes before serving.
- Cut across the grain of the meat with a sharp knife (non serrated).
To keep learning, join our mailing list for a weekly email including recipes like this, news from the farm, upcoming events, and more:
Share this post