Summer Chef's Salad
Posted by Ryan Shannon on
It's officially too hot to cook, so I've gone back to salads at every meal. But a salad doesn't have to mean that you're not well. Take advantage of all of the vegetables available to you at the peak of summer harvest season with this salad and hold back on the meat. It's still in there, but in a salad it's easy to "eat less, more better" by packing your bowl full of healthy vegetables as well. This salad makes use of flavourful Chimichurri as the dressing which pairs well with the sweetness of the corn and tomatoes; of course any dressing will do.
- 2 cobs Corn, kernals removed from cob
- 2 medium Tomatoes, cubed
- 1 medium Cucumber, seeded and cubed
- 1 small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 head Lettuce, chopped
- 1 Chicken Breast, cooked - Need help cooking a chicken breast?
- 2 Eggs, Boiled
- 4 slices Canadian Back Bacon, cooked - Need help cooking bacon?
- Prepare all of your vegetables, set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to build the salad.
- Combine the red onions and lime juice in a bowl. Set aside to pickle slightly.
- Thinly slice prepared chicken breast; peel eggs and cut them in half; coarsely chop the back bacon. Set aside.
- The most time consuming part of this salad is laying the ingredients in the bowl to make them look pretty. Start by filling each serving dish with the lettuce. Then do a row of each of the vegetables, alternating them with a protein. Finally drizzle the chimichurri over the top. Serve and let each person mix the salad themselves, adding more dressing if needed.