It's one of those condiments that gets used in almost everything, but did you know how easy it is to make? If you're concerned about where the eggs are coming from in your mayo (and you should be), bypass the store-bought variety and make it yourself! And if you really want to go the extra mile, add some flavours to it and make aioli, your sandwiches and fries will thank you for it. And so will the chickens.
- 1 large Urban Digs Farm Pasture Raised Egg Yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup canola oil, divided
- Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds
- Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- Variation: To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extra virgin olive oil for the canola oil.
Share this post