This is the pastry that I've grown up on, and it's amazing. My mom, my aunts, myself, we all use this recipe and everyone swears it's as foolproof as the name says. So if you haven't tried making pastry before, this is the recipe to try. And if you have, give this one a go, it may just give your current recipe a run for its money.
Makes: 2 pie crusts
- 4 1/2 - 5 cups all purpose or pastry flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 lb lard
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- cold water
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in lard.
- In a measuring cup, beat the egg and add the vinegar.
- Add enough water to bring the liquid mixture up to 1 cup.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients bit by bit and blend until dough forms.
- Let rest for at least 1 hour before use.
- You can freeze the dough for a later use, just wrap tightly in plastic wrap and seal in a bag to preserve freshness.