Beat the heat by sweating it out with some spicy chicken paired with a cool crisp Thai salad. This recipe is a real handy one to have when possibly heading to a Pride BBQ this week, because it contains just about every colour of the rainbow. You can chop the veggies in the time it takes to grill the chicken and while you wait for the chicken to cool, you'll have plenty of time to crack a beer or make a cocktail and enjoy the summer sun and festivities. Want to add more veggies, or mix it up with what you have left in your fridge or garden? Most veggies that have a crunch to them will do here. Try zucchini, broccoli, fennel, kholrabi, radishes, even beets! To make sure all of your vegetables stay extra crispy in this warm weather, follow our tips on Reviving Wilted Greens & Veggies.
For the Spicy Smoked Chicken Thighs
- 4 Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1⁄3 cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 Tablespoons Smoked Hog Wild Hot Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1⁄2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
For the Thai Peanut Dressing
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut, almond or cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from one lime
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1-inch square piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves (or a mix of mint & basil for those cilantro haters)
For the Salad
- 4 cups chopped cabbage, though I often sub thinly sliced kale or collards and add red cabbage for some colour
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked and shelled fava beans or edamame
- 2 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sunflower or peashoots
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 1/2 cup coarsley chopped peanuts, cashews or almonds
- For the chicken, combine all ingredients except chicken in a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Add chicken and leave to marinate at least one hour, preferably longer.
- Grill chicken on the BBQ, until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside to cool, then pull it apart into bite size pieces.
- For the dressing, combine all of the ingredients except for the cilantro in a blender and process until completely smooth. Add the cilantro and blend for a few seconds until the cilantro is finely chopped. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the salad, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- If serving right away, drizzle the peanut dressing over top and toss; otherwise, serve the dressing on the side so the salad doesn't get soggy.
- Top with shredded grilled chicken thighs
To keep learning, join our mailing list for a weekly email including recipes, news from the farm, upcoming events, and more:
Share this post