Chicken soup is a winter staple. There's no better way to warm up on a cold day, or to help ward off a cough or cold. This a nice hearty chicken soup with lots of layered flavours.
For the Soup:
- 1 cup dry Chick Peas --soaked overnight (or 1 can of chick peas rinsed and strained.)
- 8 cups Pork Stock (can substitute Chicken or Veggie Stock)
- 1 Cup Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh Rosemary
- 2-4 cups Kale, chopped
- 2 cups cooked Chicken -shredded or cut into bite sized pieces.
- Salt & fresh cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Chili Flakes (optional)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- ½ tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 links Andouille Sausage - Cooked and sliced
- ½ loaf Sourdough bread, sliced very thinly (sourdough bread is best for this recipe.. the "sourness" is actually really good with the soup)
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh Rosemary
Directions:For the Soup:
- Cook chick peas until tender
- Saute onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and rosemary. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, c and bay leaves, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat until beans are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, cooked andouille sausage and chopped kale. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add salt, cracked pepper, soy sauce and a light squeeze of lemon.
- Remember, the rosemary croutons will add a lot of flavor.
- In a small bowl mix, the oil, garlic and rosemary.
- Brush on both sides of bread and stick on a baking sheet in a 375 F oven until crisp and golden 15-20 minutes.
To keep learning, join our mailing list for a weekly email including recipes like this, news from the farm, upcoming events, and more:
Share this post